Filming and Editing


Before we could begin filming for this project we needed to piece together the video that we were going to replicate shot for shot, frame by frame in Bristol, using found clips on YouTube and news websites to fit with Dadyr’s uncle’s journey from Iran to Bristol. We started by printing out a transcript of our recorded phone call with Dadyr’s uncle, we then split the piece into three sections and each member of the group was allocated a section of the transcript to find clips for and piece together a visual narrative that fitted with the audio recount that would accompany the video.

Screen Shot 2017-04-30 at 13.56.10

You can watch the finished video that we edited together using clips that we found on YouTube and news websites. We put the video on an iPad and took it out filming with us and used it to mimic and closely replicate our own shots in Bristol that visually resembled the video, so that when the user of our interactive video experience is transferring between the two videos, using an opacity slider which is controlling the opacity of the top video, the user can still see a link between the video they are watching and the audio narrative that they are listening to despite the ability to switch between the subject and the location.





Screen Shot 2017-05-05 at 00.50.27



Above: You can see a sequence of photographs documenting our filming process over the course of a few days, we used Google street view to pinpoint some of the locations that would match the shots from the sequence we edited together, from clips that we found online that fitted with Dadyr’s uncles journey. We choose the Canon 700D for shooting because of the ease of use and we were shooting in public we didn’t want to bring a video camera.

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 12.54.24

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 12.53.56

Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 12.54.07 copy

Above: You can see some Adobe Premiere screenshots documenting Nikos and I editing the sequence of found clips with the footage that we filmed in Bristol. We used ‘The Parallel Video’ of clips that we pieced together from YouTube and news websites as a template to edit the footage that we shot in Bristol. We edited all of our own footage at 50% opacity so that we could see the original video in the layer below, to ensure that the clips we were editing were frame for frame perfect to the second against the original, so that when the user transferred between the two videos it would be totally seamless.

Screen Shot 2017-05-06 at 01.22.43Above: You can see a screenshot of me producing a short animation in Tumult Hype to go at the start of ‘The Parallel’ video experience, because I felt the user needed some kind of instruction and guidance to ensure that they were aware that they were required to click and drag across the page in order to interact with the videos, otherwise the user could have just been sitting watching one of the videos play out, unaware they are able to interact with it. I exported the click and drag animation out of Hype as a .mp4 and inserted it at the start of both videos. I inserted one animation as it was when I made it, on a black background, but with the animation at the start of the second video, I inverted the colour so the user could see a change between the two clips when transitioning, in order to familiarise themselves with how the opacity slider worked before the videos began, when it would be more crucial to know that they were supposed to swipe back and forth in order to see the contrasts between the two sets of clips. You can watch the short animation that I produced below: 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s